Wednesday, February 29, 2012

MOVE, MOUNTAIN!


“If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.”
Matthew 17:20

This scripture is not necessarily an unfamiliar one to most of us, but seems fitting as this week's personal choice goal is "INCREASE FAITH AND PERSONAL RIGHTEOUSNESS."  Most of us have probably been given a lesson regarding this scripture, possibly receiving a tiny mustard seed in a baggie to remind just how little faith it really takes for us to accomplish great things.

I remember being a little girl and thinking about how minuscule a mustard seed was.  I knew for sure I had that much faith - it was hardly any at all!  So, I put it to the test.  I placed a mustard seed in my small hand and headed to the swing set in the backyard.  I climbed to the top of the monkey bars, holding tight to the tiny seed, looked over to the mountain I could see most clearly and said “Move, mountain!”  Nothing.  I stared more intently at the mountain and held the seed even tighter.  “MOVE, MOUNTAIN!”  Still nothing.  I commanded the mountain to move and prayed that the mountain would move.  My attempts continued for a half hour or so.  Finally, feeling defeated, I went inside for dinner.

As a child I felt my faith was ten times the size of a mustard seed and I should have been able to move the mountain on my own.  Through the years I have come to realize that developing “faith as a grain of mustard seed” is a process, one that we must work at each day.  I also now recognize that we should look more at how our faith helps us accomplish the smaller, more important things in life rather than moving mountains.  I often wonder if perhaps that mountain did move for me, just a little, but I was expecting too much to notice that it had.

Click on the "Increase Faith and Personal Righteousness" tab above for ideas to help develop mustard seed faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment